Requirements for Construction Contractors' Licensure and Exam
Purpose of Licensure:
To set standards of qualifications, education, training, and experience for persons engaged in Construction. To promote high standards of professional performance for those persons working in the Construction field. To ensure that everyone engaged in work in the construction field is licensed.
Period of Licensure:
All permanent licenses are issued on an annual basis from November 1 to October 31 of each calendar year.
Applications must be completed entirely and legible. Initial Application Requirements:
- Completed and notarized application;
- Three (3) 2x2 photographs of applicant;
- One (1) letter of favorable character testimony;
- Two (2) letters of professional reference of applicant's work in the construction field from a licensed contractor along with their proof of current registration or certification;
- Automobile insurance for Construction;
- File with the Board, in such form as the Board requires, proof that he/she carries all insurance required by law, including but not limited to, workmen's compensation and general liability insurance;
- Payment of Required Fees.
All persons interested in becoming a licensed General Construction Contractor are required to sit both the National and State General Construction examination. The examination is computer-based offered online, weekly, through PSI Testing Services, LLC, www.psiexams.com or call (800) 733-9267.
The examination fee is Three Hundred Dollars ($300.00) for both parts and Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00) for one part.
Renewal of License:
In order to renew both a professional and or business license, visit the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs website ( www.dlca.vi.gov), and follow the simple steps in order to obtain a reference number and choose your payment option.
- A favorable tax approval is required and shall be provided electronically from the VIBIR;
- Proof of Commercial Liability Insurance; and
- Proof of Workman’s Comp
|Non-Refundable Application Fee||$50.00|
|Examination Fee||$300.00 both part
$200.00 one part
Attention: H. Nathalie Hodge
Assistant Commissioner, Office of Boards and Commissions
V.I. Board of General Construction Contractors
Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs
Golden Rock Shopping Center, Suite #9
Christiansted, VI 00820-4311