Requirements for Social Workers' Licensure and Examination

Purpose of Licensure:
To set standards of qualifications, education, training and experience for the practice of Social Work. To promote high standards of professional performance for persons in the practice of social work. To assure that everyone in the practice of social work is licensed and adhere to the established uniformed and coordinated procedures.

Period of Licensure:
All permanent licenses are issued on an annual basis March 1 to February 27/28; and expires exactly two years from the calendar year and month in which the license is issued.

Temporary Licenses are issued for six (6) months. Applicants are granted the initial temporary license and one temporary license renewal, after which applicant must successfully complete the social worker's examination to be duly licensed in the Virgin Islands.

Application Process:
Applications must be completed entirely and legible. Initial Application Requires:

  • Completed and notarized application;
  • Official college transcript identifying courses and degrees in the field of social work should be sent directly from the institution;
  • Two professional references as to the applicant's current occupational level and to applicant's experience in the social work field;
  • One character reference;
  • Three (3) 2x2 passport size photos of applicant; 
  • Payment of Required Fees.

Levels of Licensure:
Social Worker Associate: Applicant may have a baccalaureate degree in a non-Social Work field or an associate of arts degree in the Human Services from a junior college, college or university approved by the Board.

Social Worker: Applicant must have a baccalaureate degree in Social Work or Social Welfare Program from a college or university approved by the Board or a baccalaureate degree in another field with two years of experience in a social work capacity.

Certified Social Worker: Applicant must have a doctorate or master's degree from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and approved by the Board.

Certified Independent Social Worker: Applicant must have a doctorate or master's degree from a school of social work accredited by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) and approved by the board. Additionally, applicant must have practiced for two years under appropriate supervision in the field of specialization in which the applicant will practice.


Any person, holding a Social Worker’s degree applying to become a Social Worker is required to take an examination at three levels: Bachelors, Masters, or Clinical. All levels of examinations must be approved by the Board. The Intermediate, Clinical, and Advance Examinations are only administered to persons holding a Master's of Social Work Degree or higher from an accredited, board approved college or university. The examination is available via computer year round at the Pearson Vue Testing Center.

Payment must be submitted to ASWB
To register, one can call the ASWB Candidate Services: 888.579.3926 or register Online at
Nearest Test Center is at the following:
Pearson Professional Centers-St. Thomas VI
8000 Nisky Shopping Center
Suite 730, East Wing
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802
Virgin Islands, US

Temporary Licenses:
A temporary license is issued to an applicant who wants to work prior to taking the required examination. All temporary licenses are at the same levels of licensure. Temporary licenses are issued for a period of six (6) months. Applicants are granted an initial temporary license and one renewal of the temporary license.

Renewal of License Requires:
In order to renew a business license, visit the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs website (, and follow the simple steps in order to obtain a reference number and choose your payment option. Evidence that the Licensee has completed a minimum of two (2) units of continuing education (CEUs) per year, since previous issuance of license must be submitted in order to receive a current license. CEUs must be obtained from classes, courses, seminars or workshops that you have attended and must include topics discussed, instructor name, dates of seminar and continuing education hours received.  Copies of certificates or verification letter of attendance must be provided along with renewal.

*          NOTE: Only one (1) on-line CEU is allowed per year. Please be advised that all CEU's are subject to approval by the Board on the authenticity of sponsored workshop. Failure to submit certificates or verification letters may result in a delay of your license renewal application.

Required Fees:

Non-Refundable Application Fee $50.00
Temporary Licenses     $26.00
Social Worker Associate     $45.50
Social Worker     $45.50
Certified Social Worker     $65.00
Certified Independent Social Worker     $97.50

Mailing Addresses: 
Attention:         H. Nathalie Hodge
Assistant Commissioner, Office of Boards and Commissions
V.I. Board of Social Workers’ Licensure
Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs
Golden Rock Shopping Center, Suite #9
Christiansted, VI 00820-4311