Requirements for Plumbers, Plumbing Contractors and Journeyman Plumbers Licensure and Exam:
Purpose of Licensure:
To set standards of qualifications, education, training, and experience for persons engaged in the plumbing field. To promote high standards of professional performance for those persons working in the plumbing field. To ensure that everyone engaged in work in the plumbing field is licensed.
Period of Licensure:
All permanent licenses are issued on an annual basis from November 1 to October 31 of each calendar year.
Application Process: Master Plumber and Plumbing Contractor
Applications must be completed entirely and legible. Initial Application Requirements:
- A completed and notarized application;
- Three (3) 2x2 photographs of the applicant;
- One (1) letter of favorable character testimony;
- Two (2) letters of professional reference from a licensed contractor along with their proof of certification, while having knowledge of the applicant’s work in the plumbing field;
- At least five (5) years’ experience in trade as a journeyman;
- College or trade school transcript identifying courses and/or degrees in the plumbing field should be sent directly from the institution;
- Verification of registration and/or licensure from another state;
- Payment of Required Fees.
All persons interested in being a licensed master plumber are required to sit an examination. The examination is computer-based offered online, weekly, through PSI Testing Services, LLC, www.psiexams.com or call (800) 733-9267.
Journeyman Applicant must have been an apprentice or worker in the trade for at least four (4) years, training under a licensed Master Plumber or a Plumbing Contractor.
Licensure for Master or Plumbing Contractor
(after successfully passing examination):
Any person holding a Master Plumber's License issued in the Virgin Islands may, upon application to the Board, be granted a Plumbing Contractor's License without the necessity of taking a written examination if he meets all the other requirements:
- File with the Board, in such form as the Board requires, proof that he/she carries all insurance required by law, including but not limited to, workmen's compensation and general liability insurance;
- Be able to prove to the Board that he/she is financially responsible;
- Show that he/she has a regular place of business at a specified address in the Virgin Islands. Address of business should be in a business zone as regulated by law. Business should be kept open during usual business hours;
- A person serving as such representative under such license shall devote full time to the business for which the license is issued and shall personally sign applications for certificate of electrical inspection.
Journeyman Plumbing Requirements:
You will need the following:
- A completed and notarized Journeyman application;
- Applicant must have been an apprentice or worker in the trade for at least four (4) years, training under a licensed Master Plumber or an Plumbing Contractor;
- The Board may elect to allow the applicant to apply no less than 1500 hours of study in an accredited, approved school towards the experience requirement of paragraph one (1) above;
- Applicant must submit a letter from his employer and three (3) 2x2 passport size photographs of self;
- A journeyman card, valid and approved by another municipality or community of the United States of America may be considered by the board or given credit. This card must be kept up to date and not be expired by more than one (1) year and not revoked for unprofessional conduct.
** Please note that holders of Master Plumber's Licenses shall not employ more than one full or part-time
Renewal of License:
In order to renew both a professional and or business license, visit the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs website ( www.dlca.vi.gov), and follow the simple steps in order to obtain a reference number and choose your payment option.
A favorable tax approval is required and shall be provided electronically from the VIBIR.
|Non-Refundable Application Fee||$50.00|
Attention: H. Nathalie Hodge
Assistant Commissioner, Office of Boards and Commissions
V.I. Joint Board of Electricians, Plumbers and HVAC Contractors
Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs
Golden Rock Shopping Center, Suite #9
Christiansted, VI 00820-4311